This recipe is given by Chitra Vishwanathan of indusladies.
This is probably the easiest way of preparing sambar and guess what; you do not need to have cooked tur dal for the preparation. Yes. No cooked tur dal required for sambar since we would be incorporating the tur dal in good proportion into the powder.
This sambar powder can be stored in air tight container for a couple of months.
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 cup
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva / Perungayum - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Tur Dal - 1 1/2 cup
- Dhania - 3/4 cup
- Gram Dal - 1/4 cup
- Raw Rice - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 cup
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Methi / Fenugreek / Vendhayam / Menthulu - 1 tsp
- Mustard - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1/2 tsp
- In 1/2 tsp oil, roast red chilli powder, hing and turmeric together on low flame.
- Dry roast rest of the ingredients.
- Cool and powder all ingredients together. Store in a air tight container.
To prepare sambar -
- In a pressure pan, add the veggies, salt only sufficient for the veggies (since the sambar powder has salt already), tamarind paste, curry leaves, coriander, enough water and sambar powder. For 1 cup water, 1 tbsp of the sambar powder may be added. Once the mixture starts to boil, close and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Season with urad dal, mustard, methi, hing.
Do you like this post? Please link back to this article by copying one of the codes below.URL: HTML link code: BB (forum) link code: