Patoli as known in southern Andhra Pradesh, especially in Nellore is similar to Paruppu Usili of Tamil Nadu. This is also called 'Sandeega Podi' in Nellore. This curry requires little more oil than any other curry but the taste is heavenly.
Vegetables like cluster beans can be used for this preparation. Onion kuzhambu goes very well with this curry eaten best with steaming hot rice.
- Cluster beans - 1/2 cup
- Gram Dal / Senaga Pappu / Kadala Paruppu- 3 tbsp
- Tur Dal / Kandhi Pappu - 2 tbsp
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Red Chillis - 2-3
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp
- Hing - 1/8th tsp
- Oil - as required
- Turmeric powder - 1/8th tsp
- Salt - as required
- Gram dal - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Mustard - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- In a bowl, wash the dals. Soak the dals along with jeera, red chillis, ginger for about 2-3 hours.
- Make a paste of the above with little hing and sufficient salt.
- Cut the cluster beans into 1/2 inch pieces and boil with little salt and turmeric.
- In a kadai, add oil. Add the tempering ingredients.
- Add the ground paste and saute on a low-medium flame. This takes about 10-15 minutes. If more oil is added, you get crispier base.
- When paste is almost done, add the boiled veggies, salt if required.
- Saute for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve with steaming hot rice.
Do you like this post? Please link back to this article by copying one of the codes below.URL: HTML link code: BB (forum) link code: